Tuesday 2 October 2018

#52Ancestors, Week 34, Non-Population


I have been puzzling about this one for over a month, and I am still not sure what to write about.

I have found people on sort-of non -population records; Sheep owners, Wise’s or Kelly’s street directories, depasturising notifications etc. But none with anything really riveting to write about. I did think about the family of my great great grandmother. They lived near Imber, Wiltshire in the 19th century. Some of their descendants may have been among the families ordered to leave and never return when the Ministry of Defence took over ownership of the surrounding area on the Salisbury Plain during World War Two. But is that really non-population ?

So. For many years I volunteered with GirlGuiding New Zealand. Each year we were required to undertake a simple census recording the numbers of girls in each age group, the numbers of units in each district, the number of leaders in each unit, the numbers who had attained specific proficiencies and the number of leaders who had completed training qualifications.

I don’t have any examples of them as they were all returned to Head Office to assist them with long term planning for the organisation.

But – between 1993 and 2010 if you were a leader or a girl member in Onslow chances are you will be one of the numbers on one of my returns.

Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment