Saturday 28 July 2018

#52Ancestors, Week 27, Independence


I’ve been struggling with this topic for almost a month. I don’t have anyone (that I am aware of) who fought in the War of Independence, and most of my ancestors emigrated as part of a family unit rather than on their own. The ones who did travel alone, travelled to join family already living at their destination.

So, since I didn’t have a blog (or even facebook) back in 2007, I thought I would document my solo trip to Scotland now.

I had started planning a trip to the UK because I had never been. Plans of an OE when I was young just never eventuated. I began planning, thinking I might make it a celebration for one of those significant birthdays. Turns out it wasn’t for a significant birthday – but it did happen.

Mum and Dad came with me, I think we were away about 4 weeks, but only together for two of them. At the beginning we spent time in Warwickshire, reconnecting with Mum’s family and exploring teeny hamlets and towns in Oxfordshire, Shropshire and Wales. Then to Somerset to do the same with Dad’s family.

Walking in the footsteps of those who had gone before us. My soul, feeling like this was where it should be. It just felt right.

Then we went our separate ways. Mum and Dad to visit friends in Wiltshire and London, then on to Ireland. We’d meet up again before leaving for a few days in Frankfurt on our way home.

I caught the train from Taunton to Edinburgh. This was going to be my adventure. I had booked the train tickets online before leaving New Zealand and had a rental car booked to be collected in Edinburgh. I had a map book, and I had already pre-booked all my accommodation.

So, I caught the train. I watched the countryside flash by my window not really sure exactly where I was. I had to change trains at Carlisle. The train from Carlisle to Edinburgh got delayed by an hour, maybe two, in the middle of nowhere because a freight train ahead had broken down and there was no way to pass. The guard came through collecting everyone’s details and by the time I was back in New Zealand a refund of my fare was waiting for me. Imagine THAT !

Anyway, it was later than planned when I disembarked from the train. Not dark, but getting toward dusk. I walked, following my paper map to the B&B I had booked. I think it was about 20-30 minutes. I probably walked the longest, most roundabout way, but I got there, checked into my room then found a wee pub down the road for dinner.

For the next couple of days I explored the city on hop-on hop-off buses, and by foot. I loved the architecture. I walked the Royal Mile, stroked the statue of Greyfriars Bobby, shopped and frequented Café Nero which also had an internet café (remember them ?). I could catch up on email news – and have coffee. I ate at the Hard Rock Café at least once.

Then it was time to pick up the rental car. And drive. In a place I had never been. Without a navigator. Without a GPS. But, I had places I wanted to see. Scotland was for Lauren – and for the book-geek in me.

I found my way back to the B&B and parked the car ready for the journey to begin. My plan was a very roundabout route to Glasgow; backroads, avoiding motorways with horrendous numbers of lanes and exits. I went south first, through Melrose, Galashiels, Selkirk, Ettrick and Yarrow. Following the steps of Lauren’s paternal grandmother’s family and Mary Queen of Scots. Traquair, Mountbenger and on. The plan was to go across country a little through Carstairs, Carluke then across to Larkhall, another family hamlet. But when I got to Carluke something was on in town, a parade of some sort and roads were closed all over and I couldn’t work out where I needed to go. So I doubled back for ages and then followed some signs to Glasgow. Suddenly before I knew it I was in a long queue of traffic; I had missed Larkhall and I was about to be on the M74. What the hell !

Thanks goodness for queues. They gave me an opportunity to study the map, work out which exit I needed. SIX or EIGHT lanes to navigate ! Once off I was in the city…with a million one way roads to manage. I’m not sure which was worse, navigating the one way system or the multi-laned motorway. Eventually I found my way to the next B&B up near the School of Art and parked the car for the night.

I didn’t look around too much. I was so annoyed about my foiled itinerary, and tired from driving that I just walked into the city and found McDonalds for dinner. You always know what you are getting with them, so always a safe bet on holiday. Best thing about B&B’s is the amazing breakfast in the morning. If you eat nothing else all day, at least you will have started out well.

I did go back into the centre of town next morning, in search of a better sports bag type bag to carry my stuff and to look at the Information Centre and souvenir shop quickly. Then I was on the road again. Fortunately I had booked a B&B which had great access onto the road I needed to follow to get to the Highlands.

Next stop Fort William…with many quick stops on the way to capture the scenery. I stayed at a private B&B for a couple of nights and drove to Mallaig and the Silver Sands at Arisaig. I had to stop at the Glenfinnan monument on the way back, because earlier it was off limits while filming was taking place for “Maid of Honour” a movie with McDreamy from Greys Anatomy. I remember there were Harry Potter fans there too since the Glenfinnan viaduct features in those movies.

Churches, and churchyards, the Clan Cameron museum – there is lots to explore there. Next I was off to Aviemore, but I drove north to Fort Augustus, Drumnadrochit, a little diversion to Beauly and then to Inverness and Culloden. Listening to Leona Lewis and Rihanna (Umbrella-ella-ella) on the radio. It didn’t take as long to get to Aviemore as I thought, so I had a bit of time to wander about the town.

It’s a ski town, in the Cairngorms, but it was mid summer when I was there. Glorious sunshine. Don’t let anyone tell you it rains all the time in Scotland. NONE the whole time I was there. The next morning I was heading back to Edinburgh, my whistlestop tour was almost over.

So with stops on the way at Pitlochry, Perth and Linlithgow I was back in Edinburgh.  Found my way to the car rental place and a cab back to the city for one last walk around. I had changed my accommodation too, choosing somewhere closer to the train station as I was on an early morning train to London the next day.

It was an amazing time, I hadn’t got lost  - really – just driven a few extra miles in a roundabout fashion occasionally, and I had a list of places I wanted to come back to, if ever I had the chance.
Next morning, early, I was in a cab  then on the train ready for the next part of my adventure which included 2 days at the tennis. Queens – Stella Artois – in West Kensington near Barons Court station, the week before Wimbledon. Andy Roddick won that year, the last year it was known as the Stella Artois Championship.

So, there you have it – Independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment