Tuesday, 11 August 2026

I - Isaac Fidler

Isaac was born in London on 7 September 1772; he was the eldest son of Robert Fidler and Ann Elisabeth Dupree. Robert was possibly a grocer or a hairdresser, not too many records have been found for him. His father’s family had been living in London since at least the early 1700s. His mother’s family had arrived in Spitalfields in the early 1600s. Isaac was named for his maternal grandfather who was a silk weaver.

Isaac’s father deserted his family when Isaac was about seven years old. Poor law records show the family being removed from parishes in 1778 and 1780. By the time his mother applied for settlement in Shoreditch in 1782 only her two eldest sons were still living.

I am not sure what Isaac did for work, he married Elizabeth Thomas on 15 August 1796 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster.

In 1812 in the Land Tax records Isaac and his family were living in Drury Lane in the parish of St Martin in the Fields, Westminster. He appears on earlier Land Tax records, but not all of those include an address. Three of Isaac and Elizabeth’s children were married within three months of each other (the two girls on the same day to brothers – cos why not?) at St James Westminster in 1823. One of these girls was the mother of my great great great grandmother.

I have not been able to find a death record for Isaac or Elizabeth yet and as far as I can tell they were not on the 1841 census. I think his mother may have died in 1831 aged 89.

Have you ever come across this family? Can you unravel some of the unknown? Please let me know if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment