Wednesday 26 June 2019

We bought a place


It’s official – and I got a job

They say that everything happens in threes, or that everything happens at once.

We will have to go with the last one because I am sure there were just two things. Before our trip to New Zealand, maybe as early in the year as January, we had started to consider jumping into the property market. But the whole concept was a bit foreign and daunting.

Still, we went to several open homes and surfed real estate sites online. We had a vague idea where we thought we would like to be but were open to all options. A couple tempted us but we chickened out and bided our time. We weren’t in any big rush really as we still had a few months to run on our rental lease. (although the screaming and shouting from one of our neighbours was taking the shine off staying there too long).

Anyway, one rainy day (we do get rain here sometimes) we arranged to meet an agent to view a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit. We were instantly impressed. So much so that we decided to bite the bullet and make an offer.

BINGO !!

Then of course there was the building & pest inspection to wait on, breaking our lease, finding solicitors and navigating the finance maze.


All the while this was happening I was still applying for a new role since the last one had ended as we went to New Zealand. On the Thursday before Easter I met with a new recruitment agency, this was also the date which our contract would become unconditional – so a lot going on to keep on top of. The last thing the consultant asked me was whether I was okay to get a call on the day, to start a role immediately.

“We don’t get many of them,” she said, “but we have had a couple in the last few weeks.” I assured her that I was fine with that and off I went.

More about what we got up to over Easter in another post. On Tuesday morning though, I was messing about, checking online job boards and having a second coffee when the phone rang.

You guessed it ! A temp assignment, 2 weeks and could I start today ?

That made me get my skates on – and abandon a couple of plans I had had for later in the day ! But great timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment