Tuesday 13 November 2018

#52Ancestors, Week 45, Bearded

"A fine looking bunch of gentleman with their beards on the verandah. Looking magnificent."


This photo (very poor quality, I must try to see if I can get a better one) was taken about 1896 or 1897 possibly at the home of my great great grandparents James and Sarah Davys, on Ohaupo Road Hamilton New Zealand. Or maybe at the home of one of their sons.

Standing in the centre is James Davys, seated to his right is his wife Sarah, my great great grandparents. Seated to his left are their third son Francis and his wife Sarah, my great grandparents. Seated in front of them are their three eldest children, Jim, Cis and Francis, the fourth, Janie, is standing between her grandparents. Three more children would complete their family in the next six years; my grandfather was not born for another four years.

Seated on the right of the photo is their second son Henry and his wife Harriett. Here is where it starts to get tricky. Harriett is also Henry's first cousin. Her mother was Sarah's younger sister, Caroline. (even trickier Harriett's father was also a first cousin to her mother and aunt !) Henry and Harriett's children are the young girl, Lena, kneeling between Harriett and her mother-in-law/aunt Sarah and the young man, Ted, standing behind Henry.

At the back are James and Sarah's two daughters Mary and Sarah (I don't know which is which) and another three of their sons. Again I'm not sure which is which, but I think it could be left to right Albert, William and Frederick (I could be wrong though). Two sons are not in the photograph; Thomas was gold mining in the Waihi/Coromandel area and at around this time Walter, who had also been mining in the Coromandel had left to make his fortune on the West Australian goldfields. (Or are they in the photo and two of the others not !)

Most of the men in my family in the current three generations are clean shaven, as were both my grandfathers. A sign of the times perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Great hairy lot. A bit of a tangled web to sort out - good luck

    ReplyDelete