Sunday 12 August 2018

#52Ancestors, Week 32, Youngest


Oldest last week, youngest this week. I did think about my brother – he’s the youngest in my nuclear family, and it is his birthday this week too. But then, I thought I would follow the theme from last week.

So Happy Birthday little bro. Another trip around the sun completed safely and great things to look forward to on the next trip.

Looking at my tree, I can see I have made some additions this year. My cousin had her second daughter in June 2018 and there are three others, either here on or the way.

Family history often focuses more on the people who have gone before, researching their lives and trying to form a better picture of who they were and what their lives were like. It is great being able to add new people and happy events to the family though, because all the research is for them, ultimately.

It got me thinking about relationships though, and how often branches of our trees grow at different pace to others. I have looked at the relationship of these youngest people compared to my daughter since they are related to her on both branches of her tree.

Already this year a new 2nd cousin and 4th cousin once removed have been welcomed and added with another 4th cousin once removed and 5th cousin once removed on their way. You can see how far back the common ancestors are for these new family members; great grandparents, 3x great grandparents and 4xgreat grandparents. These new little twiglets are all on my side of her tree.

On her paternal side of the tree though things are a little different. In the past couple of years there have been additions who include a 1st cousin once removed and THREE 1st cousins twice removed. Their common ancestors are much closer – her grandparents ! Those three 1st cousins twice removed are the GRANDchildren of her first cousins.

My side of the tree doesn’t stand a chance catching up to that growth. But nevertheless, each new little twig that I add to the tree is welcome. I hope that someday all my hard work will answer any questions they might have about their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment