Thursday 10 May 2018

#52Ancestors, Week 18, Close Up


Close up; like in focus ? Or close up; like a clam. Hmmm.

As a researcher I come across plenty of both. Sometimes I get so engrossed with researching a particular person, I really get to know them. Close up. I want to know every detail that I can, where they lived, what the village/town/city was like – what does it look like now, who were their neighbours, friends. I want to understand what life was like for them. If I can go to the place where they lived and have a nosey around; walk the streets and laneways which they walked, all the better.

Then there are the other things, obstacles, brickwalls, secrets. Where everyone you ask knows nothing – or if they do it is a bunch of chinese whispers; or they just close up; like a clam.

But I have to know.

It is heart wrenching that so many things which we hardly blink an eye at today, caused so much distress and shame in the past. People – our flesh and blood – suffered; keeping secrets, not letting their guard down, not giving anything away; when sharing may actually have been cathartic.

I always wonder when I find the clue, or the answer to the riddle. Wouldn’t they be SO amazed to learn what we have found – once they get past the piece that caused the hurt in the first place.

Some things, like having a convict in your past, are even welcomed and celebrated by researchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment